Your professional dental cleaning (dental prophylaxis) will be performed by one of our Registered Dental Hygienists. Preventative care appointments will include a dental exam and the following procedures:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that can cause inflammation and bone loss. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Removes stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
During your preventative care visits, Dr. Santilli and his dental hygienists will perform periodic dental exams, which includes the following services:
- Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): These dental x-rays help detect tumors, tooth decay, cysts, and bone loss. We offer digital radiographs, as opposed to film. By using digital radiographs, radiation exposure can be reduced by as much as 90% and decay can be detected earlier.
- Oral cancer screening: A screening of your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bones around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations
- Discussion of your dental concerns
Dr. Santilli strives to provide all his patients with the highest quality dental care. With this in mind, we have invested in Digital Radiography (dental x-rays), DIAGNOdent, and Intra-Oral Cameras to help you better understand your dental health. Using the latest technology will give you a more comprehensive evaluation of your teeth, without compromising your comfort.